Sunday, October 23, 2011

making it the norm

Sometimes people think that they are not doing enough for a particular cause because they are not participating in big actions. I say, keep it small. Do your part by changing one little thing at the time.

What am I doing to make breastfeeding the norm? Not much. Or, depending how you look at it, a lot. I nurse in public. Not out there, in your face nursing, just every day nursing. I don't care if you don't look at me, but I don't care if you do. I'm just a normal woman, doing a normal, everyday thing.

Yesterday I went to a baby shower with my step daughter, who is twelve. Her mother had a baby a couple of weeks before Baby S, and they are formula feeders. I know the first time that my SD saw me breastfeeding Baby S, she was interested, but didn't ask any questions. I didn't push the subject- I just continue to breastfeed around her like it is the norm. Her and her little sister now seem to be used to it.

Back to the baby shower. We were surrounded by beautiful pregnant, nursing, and experienced mothers. Everyone was talking about breastfeeding, home birthing, and other womanly experiences. The SD was interested and intrigued. Asking little questions here and there, but just generally soaking up the conversations.


I am thrilled that I was able to expose her to yet another situation where breastfeeding was the norm- See? It's not just some weird thing that I do- so many other beautiful women do it too! I'm not sure that she has ever been around so many women where breastfeeding was a given.

I hope to continue to give her this exposure- perhaps one day when she gets pregnant, she won't automatically go to the bottle like her mother. She'll remember all of the beautiful women that she has seen breastfeeding, and realize that she should go the natural way. Maybe she'll come to me for advice and guidance!

Sniff.. a little tear just came to the eye. Anyways, like I was saying, small steps. Changing one little mind at a time.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post. It's so important to learn about breastfeeding from a young age. As well, the more people see mothers breastfeeding the more breastfeeding is viewed as normal and natural which in turn provides more support to breastfeeding mothers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...